Thursday, February 12, 2009

Idea Utility Company

As many examples of brands utilities you can think of, there is an endless amount of untapped opportunities not being utilized by popular brands. The few I can think off the top of my head would be Nokia having an online phone directory, UPS making digital stopwatches, Sharpie providing blank white cardboard signs and markers at sporting events. These ideas are just off the top of my head, and are not even very good, but should be seen as examples of how brand utility ideas could be created for every brand. It is difficult for brands to build relationships with an audience and the overall goal is to have your audience live your band. Brand utilities are a great way to have an audience view your brand as useful.

Before sitting down to write this I opened a bottle of wine with my Naked Grape wine opener and filled my Inniskillin wine glass, and was pondering what makes a great brand utility. Clearly there should be a connection between the brand and the utility they are offering. The new frontier, however, is online widgets and services. As I peruse the numerous widgets on my Mac desktop, I noticed an endless amount of lost opportunities. No one is sponsoring my weather, dictionary or translator widget. These would be perfect for Firestone, Scrabble and Go Travel respectively

No comments: